Bethesda Cosmetic Surgery - Cosmetic Procedures - Ear Surgery
Surgery of the ear, also known as otoplasty helps reduce protrusion of the ear away from the head. Most often, ear surgery is performed on children between the ages of four to fourteen. Ears that “stick out” are often the source of teasing and ridicule in young children. This teasing can have a devastating effect on the child’s psyche.
Otoplasty is not limited to children and may also be performed on older patients. Cosmetic procedures are available for those individuals with large ears and for those with congenital (birth) irregularities that detract from their appearance. Additionally, an individual’s ears may exhibit abnormal traits due to their genetic make-up or an accidental injury, such as losing an ear or part of an ear.
Reasons for Considering Ear Surgery:
- Bring proportion to the face if the ears “stick out” too much.
- Correct folded ear tips (lop ear).
- Reshape long or offset earlobes.
- Enhance very small ears or other congenital defects.
- Remedy an accidental injury, including the loss of an ear.
Call Dr. Colgan in Bethesda if you have any additional questions or would like to schedule for a consultation!